We are excited to announce the launch of Women’s Enterprise for Sustainability (WES) Business Award! The WES Business Award is a competition intended to provide an opportunity for WES graduates to strengthen their business plans and compete for small seed grants to launch or expand their businesses. This competition will also help WES engage with the private sector in our work, expand our networks and attract new women to attend WES workshops.
The WES Business Award is open to WES graduates from November 4, 2013 through December 9, 2013. The winners will be announced on February 3, 2014. Three awards will be given out at each WES center – two awards for TND 1000 and one award for TND 2000. (See the list of 8 WES Partners in Tunisia.)
Winners will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Clarity of Vision: Applicant has a clear vision/plan for her business. She can clearly explain what she wants to do with her business and has a realistic plan for how she will use the Award funds in the next 3-6 months.
- Market Opportunity: There is proven demand for the applicant’s product/service in the region. The applicant has a well thought-out plan to market and respond to the demand for her product/service.
- Profitability and Financial Feasibility: There is a demonstrated understanding of the financial requirements of starting or expanding a business. The applicant is clear about her potential revenue and profits and the plan seems to be financially feasible and profitable.
- Management Capability: The applicant has the management and entrepreneurial qualities and skills to successfully launch or expand a new business.
Applications will be reviewed and rated by an independent selection committee comprised of three entrepreneurs, business people, university professors, etc. from the community. The committee will submit their final recommendations to the Institute of International Education (IIE) who will make the final selection of winners. Preference will be given to applicants whose business plans demonstrate excellence in each of the selection criteria.
Here is how you can join us in empowering women entrepreneurs in Tunisia:
- Suggest Tunisia-based private sector partners to support WES graduates
- Connect us with women mentors for WES graduates
- Write a guest post on our blog sharing your entrepreneurship tips or inspiring story
- Spread the word about WES and the Business Award on social media
Stay tuned for exciting updates as we select our first cohort of WES Business Award winners!